Go to D2L for this class, and under the “Contents” tab go to “Case Studies” and open the three StClaire files you will find there.
Read and prepare to discuss this case in class with your group (and then with the entire class). You might want to consider the following questions:
· What do you think are Gwen Lewis’ most important responsibilities and obligations?
· As Lewis is sorting through her responsibilities, she must seek to determine if her most important priorities dovetail with the interests of the Council members, in order to determine how to proceed. Considering this, which side of the issue has the best political prospects in the upcoming County Council vote?
· Based on that analysis, what are th tools and constraints she faces in attempting to gather support for the Chair’s original proposal (one that she perceives fulfills the greatest balance of her responsibilities)?
· Based on this analysis, what goals or outcomes are desirable, important, and feasible that she should seek in trying to resolve this situation?
· In 4 or 5 sentences, what strategy could she adopt to meet these goals?
Following the class discussion, write an advisory memo (2-3 pages single-spaced) to Gwen Lewis. Include:
· Assessment of the situation
· Approaches for meeting obligations/objectives
· Desired outcomes and strategy for making progress on most important obligations and objectives (Make sure your proposals for action and strategy are practical and consistent with your assessment).
© 2006 A.J.Filipovitch
Revised 10 August 2013