5 Easy Pieces for Planners
- How can planners and planning professionals significantly
affect decisions about the physical environment? (Do planners
- Does modifying or controlling the physical environment modify
or control the behavior of people in that environment? (Does
the physical environment matter?)
- The important changes are the unexpected ones (like the Stock
Market Crash of 1929 or the invention of the personal computer),
as opposed to forecasts based on extensions of current trend lines.
How can you plan for the unpredictable? (Does planning matter?
Isn't planning inherently conservative?)
- Do planners have a distinctive set of skills or knowledge?
(Is planning a profession?)
- Does planning really regulate land for the general public
interest? (For whom do planner plan?)
- cf. Connie Ozawa. 1996. Planning theory: Review essay.
Journal of the American Planning Association 62, 263-264.
© 1996 A.J.Filipovitch
Revised 2 January 1997